By Ken Buben, President, FancyScrubs.com
In an interview that I personally had with the food service director of a prominent nursing home in New England I was intrigued that the home was closed to visitors from February 2 to February 23. The home was closed because of the Norovirus which is also known as the Norwalk virus.
At first the first floor of the nursing home was closed down to all visitors. By the 2nd week all floors were closed to visitors. 48 residents and 48 employees were infected by the virus causing obvious symptoms of the virus which includes acute gastroenteritis that develops between 24 and 48 hours after exposure and characterized by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain; and in some cases, loss of taste. General lethargy, weakness, muscle aches, headache, and low-grade fever may occur.
The nursing home has not given me permission to mention them specifically in this article for obvious reasons. But in doing their research they traced the virus to two recent admissions from local hospitals.
My source told me today that every inch of the nursing home, and I really mean every inch, had to be treated with bleach and not only touchable surfaces but walls, stairs, drapes, etc. Imagine doing this in your office, clinic or hospital?
How did it spread through so many rooms and employees? They believe it came from the clothes of the CNA’s that were attending to the patients.
I am taken aback to hundreds of years ago when typhoid, malaria, black plaque and scurvy existed. With that said medical science has rid the world of many of these killers.
We have the technology to stop the spread of diseases via our healthcare clothing. There is a law in the making in New York to forbid doctors from wearing neckties on the job.
If you visit FancyScrubs.com/vestex we can protect you, your patients, colleagues and your family from a potential disaster.